Indonesian authorities investigate after pornographic film screened on billboard in Jakarta
Monday, October 3, 2016
Authorities ininitiated an investigation after a film was illicitly screened on a 24- (roughly 260- ) LED billboard in the capital city of on Friday, in full view of rush hour commuters.
The film, depicting a couple engaged in explicit sexual activity, appeared on the screen for several minutes — five, according to— during which time passerby took the opportunity to film the display and upload it onto the Internet. Following complaints to the South Jakarta Communications and Information Agency, authorities cut power to the billboard at about 2:45 p.m. to stop the screening.
According to a report on Saturday by, the film, identified as erotica titled Watch Tokyo Hot, was believed to have been transmitted to the billboard by a personal computer. Awi Setiyono, head of public relations for the police, said the investigative team for the incident includes a cyber crime unit, with the intention of determining whether the billboard was hacked.
Lestari Ady Wiryono, head of public information for South Jakarta, stated "The South Jakarta administration takes this matter seriously". She said on Friday she had no information on the culprits or the source of the film. "We received the report and we immediately severed the electricity to there", she said according to the.
The billboard, located in close proximity to the office of the South Jakarta mayor, is owned by PT. Matapena Komunika Advertama, a private company, while content screened on it is the responsibility of PT. Transito Adiman Jati Transito Adverstising, according to. According to Lestari, following the incident, staff from her office along with the investigating cyber crime unit visited PT. Transito's offices to gather information relating to the affected billboard.
The Indonesian government blocks access to pornographic websites in the country, whilst also subjecting scenes of romance in public broadcasts to heavy censorship. Under a 2015 decree, the government subjects content shown on billboards to standards of "public ethics, aesthetics, public order, decency, security and the environment".
- Porn film plays on Jakarta billboard, police investigate" — , October 1, 2016. "
- Patrick Lion. "Red faces all round after video advertising billboard accidentally shows pornographic film to passing motorists during rush hour" — , October 1, 2016
- Porn video plays on Jakarta billboard." — , October 1, 2016. "
- Porn video shown in jakarta selatan videotron !" — , September 30, 2016. "
- "Passersby shocked by jumbotron showing Japanese porn in South Jakarta" — , September 30, 2016
- "Pornographic film appears on billboard in Jakarta" — , September 30, 2016