Investigation into Jimmy Savile abuse cases expands to nineteen more hospitals
Sunday, December 1, 2013
Investigations into claims ofby the former television presenter, and , are expanding to cover an additional 19 hospitals in the , Health Secretary announced Friday. Hunt told , in a written statement, the investigation around Savile's access through the health service are now to report by June next year.
The announcement brings the total number of hospitals being investigated for links with sexual abuse allegations made against Savile to 32.are continuing their inquiries into Savile, stating: "Inquiries are ongoing, and we continue to work with the . Inquiries into criminal offences are not concluded yet".
About a year after Savile's death in October 2011,broadcast a documentary where several women claim to have been sexually abused by the former TV star. Since then, many more people have come forward with statements claiming abuse by Savile. In addition, a number of other celebrities and public figures have been arrested in connection with claims of sexual abuse and rape.
Solicitor Jessica Standley, whose law firm represents about 70 of Savile's alleged victims, said of the news: "What is concerning me is that the Department of Health have taken until now to include those additional hospitals".
Brian Tooke, a former nurse at the now closed De La Pole Hospital in, said: "I was appalled when I heard it all — they are vulnerable people and should be protected. I can't understand how, if it is true, he would have been allowed to have free run and exploit vulnerable people."
The nineteen additional hospitals under-investigation are:
- De La Pole Hospital
- Leavesden Secure Mental Hospital
- Marsden Hospital
- Pinderfields Hospital
- Prestwich Psychiatric Hospital
- St Mary's Hospital,
- Whitby Memorial Hospital
- "Comedian Jim Davidson arrested as part of Yewtree sex abuse inquiries" — Wikinews, January 3, 2013
- "Freddie Starr arrested as part of Savile child sex inquiry" — Wikinews, November 1, 2012
- Emma Wright and Jenna Thompson. "Staff at former De La Pole hospital in Willerby shocked at Jimmy Savile abuse claims" — , November 30, 2013
- Haroon Siddique. "More hospitals to be investigated over Jimmy Savile allegations" — , November 29, 2013
- "Jimmy Savile: 19 more hospitals to investigate links" — , November 29, 2013