Iran's Supreme Leader wants religious army
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
He blasted the military of the previous regime as one without spirituality, saying, "the defunct regime (of Shah Pahlavi), which was backed by America and other superpowers, amassed all its efforts on building an army of irreligious and unpopular identity. Nevertheless, following the Islamic Revolution, the Army picked a religious identity."
Khamenei then went on to pay tribute to several martyrs and former army commanders by stating that these men played pivotal roles in shaping the religious identity of the army. Finally, he exhorted the army to modernize and obtain sophisticated military technology through utilization of the nation's own resources.
- Press Release: "IRI Army secured religious identity" — , April 17, 2007
- "Ayetollah Ali Seyyed Khamenei: Armed Forces Should Maintain Religious and Revolutionary Identity" — , Wednesday , 18 April 2007
- "Ahmadinejad: Rely on God" — , Tue, 17 April 2007
- Tehran Times Political Desk. "Leader urges armed forces to maintain religious identity" — , April 18, 2007
- "Leader lauds Army's Islamic identity" — , April 17, 2007
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|