Israel sets 36 hour ultimatum for Hamas
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
The ultimatum comes after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated the Israel Defence Force (IDF) was "prepared for a significant expansion of the operation" and after 75,000 army reservists were drafted for duty.
"We are at a junction. Either we go toward a calm or toward a meaningful widening of the operation… including a possible move to achieve complete military decision", said Israeli Finance Ministerto IDF Radio.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is in the region meeting with the in an attempt to negotiate a between Israel and Gaza. There has been some optimism as Netanyahu met with his cabinet members to discuss a phased ceasefire agreement.
Israel has led an air campaign targeting high ranking Hamas commanders, rocket launcher locations, and Hamas communication sites, but has come under scrutiny with the rising number of civilian deaths in Gaza.
- "Israeli Defense Force admits to targeting media center in Gaza City airstrike" — Wikinews, November 19, 2012
- "Israel launches airstrikes against Gaza Strip, kills Hamas commander" — Wikinews, November 14, 2012
- "Israel gives Hamas 36-hours ultimatum before starting major offensive" — , November 19, 2012
- Gil Ronen. "Israel Sends Hamas 36-Hour Ultimatum" — , November 19, 2012
- "Stop attack in 36 hours or face military action: Israel to Hamas" — , November 19, 2012
- Edmund Sanders. "Israel, Hamas keep up attacks as talks continue in Egypt" — , November 19, 2012