Israeli athletes barred from representing country in Abu Dhabi's grand slam
Thursday, October 19, 2017
On Monday, the judo grand slam in Abu Dhabi told chairman of the Israel Judo Association Israeli athletes would not be permitted to wear the Israeli flag or symbols, or bear the country's name on their judo uniform.responded after organisers of the
Ponte communicated with, , and considered withdrawing the team from the grand slam, which is scheduled to be held from October 26 to 28. Regev wrote a letter addressing , the president of the , which read, "The demand to appear without national symbols is contrary to the mandate of international sports associations, the main aim of which is to separate politics from sport, and strengthen sport as a bridge and connection between peoples, cultures and countries." She also wrote, "It is the obligation of any country which has the privilege of hosting an international competition to allow the competing athletes to represent the country honorably while ensuring their security."
Officials of the Abu Dhabi judo grand slam said the players would not be allowed to bear Israel's code "ISR" on their back, nor would it appear on the scoreboard, and the Israeli national anthem would not be played if any Israeli UAE. They would represent the , and their jersey would show an "IJF" tag.wins a gold medal. However, the Israel Judo Association said, "We won't be dragged into the political arena and won't award prizes to those who want to deter us from appearing all over the world." Twelve Israeli judokas are expected to compete in the grand slam in the capital of the
About two years ago, Israeli athletes faced the same situation in the grand slam in the UAE's capital, and Regev asked for an emergency meeting then.
In last year's Olympics in Rio de Janiro, after losing to Israeli judoka , of Egypt refused to shake hands. The International Olympic Committee said this gesture "was contrary to the rules of fair play and against the spirit of friendship embodied in the Olympic values."
During the opening ceremony of the same tournament, the Israeli team were denied by Lebanese athletes to share a bus, even physically blocking the entrance to prevent Israelis from boarding the bus. Israeli's coach , in a Facebook post, wrote, "How could they let this happen on the eve of the Olympic Games? Isn't this the opposite of what the Olympics represents?".
- AFP. "Israel says judo team barred from wearing national emblems in UAE" — , October 16, 2017
- Allon Sinai. "Israeli judokas barred from competing under country's flag in Abu Dhabi" — , October 16, 2017
- Itamar Katzir. "Israeli Judo Team Banned From Competing Under National Flag in Abu Dhabi" — , October 16, 2017
- AP. "Egyptian booed after refusing judo handshake" — , August 27, 2016
- AP and Haaretz. "Egyptian Judoka Sent Home for Refusing to Shake Israeli's Hand" — , August 15, 2016
- "Rio 2016 Olympics: Lebanese athletes refuse to travel with Israel team" — , August 6, 2016
- Uri Talshir. "Lebanese Delegation Refuses to Share Bus With Israeli Athletes at Rio Olympics" — , August 6, 2016