Italian police charge homeless local with murder of US exchange student
Friday, July 8, 2016
According to reports, Massimo Galioto is homeless and lived in a tent under a bridge. Italian police said two witnesses reported they saw someone being thrown from the Garibaldi bridge into the Tiber River. The authorities also reportedly obtained CCTV footage near the bank of the river, showing the incident.
A homeless woman sharing a tent with Massimo Galioto said she saw Massimo Galioto and Beau Solomon fighting each-other, and then saw Beau Solomon fall into the river. The woman alleged Beau Solomon was drunk and the company included two people from North Africa.
On Monday, Italian police found Beau Solomon's body near Guglielmo Marconi bridge about three miles (five kilometres) downstream from Trastevere, where the student was last seen at about 1AM in G-Bar in Piazza Trilussa on Friday night after his first day in Italy. Solomon was beginning aat . His parents arrived on Monday using emergency passports.
The body had no mobile device or wallet, suggesting to local authorities it was a robbery. The body also had a head wound and bloody shirt, the victim's 23-year-old brother Cole Solomon told theon Monday.
Last week on Friday morning, Beau Solomon's parents received bank alerts. According to the student's brother Jake Solomon, the bank told his parents Beau's bank card was charged "thousands of dollars". Authorities later confirmed the amount as about 1,500(about 1700). The credit card of the victim was charged in over 300 miles away from Rome on Friday.
Beau Solomon was aged 19. He came to Italy to attend summer school on Thursday. Beau Solomon did not attend universitynext morning, and the institution reported him missing to the local authorities at 9PM.
- Darren Boyle. "Surveillance footage 'shows Italian homeless man accused of American student's death in Rome river wasn't the only one on the bank at the time he was pushed'" — , July 7, 2016
- Christopher Koulouris. "Did Massimo Galioto murder Beau Solomon?" — , July 5, 2016
- Darren Boyle. "Pope consoles parents of American student whose body was found in Rome’s River Tiber after he fell in during ‘drunken brawl with homeless man’" — , July 6, 2016
- Claudio Lavanga, F. Brinley Bruton. "Beau Solomon Death: Italian Charged With U.S. Student's Murder" — , July 5, 2016
- Rosie Scammell. "Beau Solomon: Rome police treating US student's death as murder, says brother" — , July 5, 2016
- Mary Spicuzza. "Brother of found UW-Madison student: 'It's a murder investigation'" — , July 4, 2016
- "American student missing in Rome" — , July 4, 2016