Japan and Russia on tsunami alert
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
A tsunami alert has been issued by the Japanese Meteorological Agency after a 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck the Kuril islands. The alert warns that a 2 metre high tsunami could hit the Pacific coast of Hokkaido & Honshu 1210 GMT. Coastal residents have been asked to move to higher ground.
The United States Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has warned that the tsunami will hit northern Japan and Russia.
An official from the Alaska Tsunami Warning Center as said that the tsunami was not expected to hit Hawaii and the West Coast of North and South America. She added that there was a slight chance of it hitting the western Aleutian Islands.
The United States Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre warning states indicates the estimated inital tsunami arrival times as follows.
NOTE: ACTUAL ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE LARGEST. THE TIME BETWEEN SUCCESSIVE TSUNAMI WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR. IN CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION... THE MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.
|URUP IS||46.1N 150.5E||1139Z 15 NOV|
|PETROPAVLOVSK K||53.2N 159.6E||1224Z 15 NOV|
|SEVERO KURILSK||50.8N 156.1E||1229Z 15 NOV|
|UST KAMCHATSK||56.1N 162.6E||1249Z 15 NOV|
|MEDNNY IS||54.7N 167.4E||1251Z 15 NOV|
|KUSHIRO||42.5N 144.5E||1219Z 15 NOV|
|HACHINOHE||40.5N 142.0E||1245Z 15 NOV|
|KATSUURA||35.1N 140.3E||1321Z 15 NOV|
|SHIMIZU||32.5N 133.0E||1434Z 15 NOV|
|OKINAWA||26.2N 127.8E||1535Z 15 NOV|
- "Tsunami wave alert for British Columbia dropped" — Wikinews, November 15, 2006
- "Tsunami alert lifted for Japan and Russia" — Wikinews, November 15, 2006
- Associated Press. "Japan issues tsunami warning" — , November 15, 2006
- "Tsunami Warning/Advisory" — , November 15, 2006
- "Small tsunamis hit northern Japan" — , November 15, 2006
- "TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 004" — , November 15, 2006