Large earthquake rattles Indonesia; Seventh in two days
Friday, September 14, 2007
According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS) a large magnitude 6.4 quake has struck Indonesia, the seventh such major earthquake in two days. The Meteorology Agency of Indonesia recorded the quake at a magnitude 6.9.
The epicenter was located 164 kilometers (102 miles) west, southwest of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia with a depth of 47 km (29.2 miles), and the Meteorology Agency recorded it at a depth of only 10 km (6.2 miles).
The Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning for the west coast of Sumatra, but was called off a short time later. The USGS did not believe a tsunami will occur saying "the earthquake is not big enough" and that they "generally need to be over 7.2" to generate one.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) had issued a bulletin stating that "no widespread destructive tsunami is expected based on historical earthquake data," but that there could be "local tsunamis" located "not more than 100 k.m." from the quake's epicenter.
There is no word on any injuries, deaths or damage. The region has been almost continuously rattled by earthquakes and aftershocks since a major magnitude 8.4 quake struck the region on September 12 killing at least 13 people and injuring hundreds. Several towns report that most of their buildings have been destroyed.
Volcanologists say that the domino effect of the quakes could make some volcanoes in the region active. "We expect a triggering effect on volcanoes in the region which have already shown some activities in the last couple of years," said a Department of Earth Sciences Professor in Indonesia.
- "Massive earthquake strikes Indonesia on September 12" — Wikinews, September 12, 2007
- "Strong volcanic activity expected in Sumatra region" — , September 14, 2007
- "Indonesia calls off tsunami alert" — , September 14, 2007
- "Indonesia Issues Tsunami Warning" — , September 14, 2007
- "Another tsunami alert in Indonesia" — , September 14, 2007
- "Tsunami warning after Sumatra quake" — , September 14, 2007
- "Magnitude 6.4 - SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA" — , September 14, 2007
- "Tsunami Bulletin 001 (Indonesia)" — , September 14, 2007
- "Death toll reaches 13 in Indonesia quake" — , September 14, 2007