Large fires kill many in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Friday, June 4, 2010
According to local fire official Nazrul Islam, the fire started in an apartment complex when an electricalexploded. The fire that started at about 20:45 local time on Thursday then spread to six or seven other buildings in the densely populated Najiranazar neighbourhood of old Dhaka.
The fire was brought under control after three hours of effort on Friday morning, leaving at least 114 dead and a further 40 injured of which 10 to 12 are in critical condition. The current casualties follows the death of 25 in a previous fire on Tuesday.
Witnesses said that fueling the flames were chemicals from illegal home-based factories in the Kayettuli neighborhood. Kayettuli is one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in Dhaka.
- "In pictures: Dhaka inferno" — , June 4, 2010
- Lu Hui. "Death toll from Bangladesh's worst fire goes up to 109" — , June 4, 2010
- "Bangladesh: Fire Kills Over 100 at Dhaka Apartments" — , June 3, 2010
- AFP. "85 dead, 100 injured in Bangladesh blaze: police" — , June 4, 2010
- Anis Ahmed. "Bangladesh fire death toll at 114, set to rise" — , June 4, 2010