Leading Sierra Leone doctor dies in Ebola epidemic
Saturday, August 2, 2014
Dr. Sheik Humarr Khan died fromon Tuesday afternoon at treatment centre in . Dr. Khan led the response in Sierra Leone to the current Ebola outbreak there and treated dozens of patients. On Thursday, Sierra Leone declared a state of emergency, quarantining Ebola epicentres.
The previous Tuesday, Minister of Health and Sanitation Miatta Kargbo announced Dr. Khan had contracted Ebola. Dr. Khan was moved to thetreatment center in Kailahun. A few days before he was admitted, three other senior staff in his department at the died from Ebola, including one, Nurse Mbalu Fonnie, with more than two decades' experience with .
September 11 of this year would have been Dr. Khan's 40th birthday. In an interview on May 20, Dr. Khan told Awareness Times his department does the only testingfor hemorrhagic fever such as and ; a decade ago, these tests would have been done in . He warned about the possibility of fresh outbreaks and necessity of engaging the public in and prevention.
- *Umaru Fofana and Kwasi Kpodo. "Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over Ebola" — , July 31, 2014
- Bryan Randall. "Dr. Khan Warned of Ebola Security Threat" — , July 30, 2014
- Top doctor dies from Ebola after treating dozens" — , July 29, 2014 . "
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease" — , July 23, 2014 . "
- Mohaned Vandi. "Nurses in Sierra Leone strike over Ebola" — , July 22, 2014