Litigation for Varanasi Heritage intensifies
Sunday, November 17, 2013
On Thursday, the India published a key judgment relating to the the suit filed by the , an Indian , that accuses the State of of negligence in protecting the heritage of the historic city of . The dispute is increasingly polarising public opinion.in
In the Court hearing of 8th November, the Varanasi Development Authority was supposed to explain why it compounded the four-floor new construction section in the rear portion of the historic Darbhanga Palace in, in spite of a law specifically prohibiting construction within 200 metres from the river .
The agenda was changed when the lawyer of Darbhanga Palace owners, the Aggarwal family, requested the Court to completely dismiss the PIL on the ground that the Varanasi administration had lodged twos (i.e. criminal reports) against the Kautilya Society.
Vrinda Dar, in her role of Society Secretary, claimed that thes had no connection with facts but are falsities for misinforming the public of Varanasi. She asked the Court to order an independent investigation on the allegations, so that she may receive protection from what she calls an "institutional harassment".
- "Court order No. - 37 PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION (PIL) No. - 31229 of 2005 of the November 8, 2013" — , November 14, 2013
- "The second FIR to Kautilya Society by Varanasi Authorities" — , November 14, 2013
- "Another society in trouble for violating laws" — , October 14, 2013
- "Court order No. - 37 PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION (PIL) No. - 31229 of 2005 of the October 9, 2013" — , October 14, 2013
- "FIR against Kautilya society" — , June 8, 2013