MMVAs handed out in Toronto, Canada; Wikinews was there
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Last night was the 2007 MuchMusic Video Awards in Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
MuchMusic is the most watched music channel in Canada, and has been holding the event since 1990. Roughly 6,000 fans line the streets surrounding Much headquarters each year, and 1,200 more score "the wristband" and enjoy a free festival-style show in the parking lot, watching four outdoor performance areas spread out in the downtown location. New this year was a special roof-top stage, on the top of the building. Finger Eleven performed on this stage, way above the crowds.
Presenters included Nickelback, Jay Manuel (Canada's Next Top Model, America's Next Top Model), Tara Reid (American Pie, this fall's Land of Canaan), Joss Stone, Sum 41, Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia, Grudge 2), Hedley, Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors), Sean Avery (New York Rangers), George, Sam Roberts, Emilie de Ravin (LOST), Marianas Trench, and Kardinal Offishall.
Among the awards up for grabs were four People's Choice categories, which were open for text message (within Canada) or online ballots until the night of.
And the winners were...
- Best Video - BILLY TALENT - "FALLEN LEAVES"
- Best Director - GEORGE - "LIE TO ME"
- Best Post-Production - SAM ROBERTS - "BRIDGE TO NOWHERE"
- Best Cinematography - ALEXISONFIRE - "THIS COULD BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD"
- Best Pop Video - HEDLEY - "GUNNIN"
- MuchLOUD Best Rock Video - BILLY TALENT - "FALLEN LEAVES"
- MuchVibe Best Rap Video - BELLY feat. GINUWINE - "PRESSURE"
- Best Independent Video - CANCER BATS - "FRENCH IMMERSION"
- MuchMoreMusic Award - NICKELBACK - "FAR AWAY"
- Best French Video - MALAJUBE - "PATE FILO"
- VideoFACT Award - TOKYO POLICE CLUB - "CHEER IT ON"
- Best International Video - Artist - FERGIE - "FERGALICIOUS"
- Best International Video - Group - MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE - "WELCOME TO THE BLACK PARADE"
- Favourite International Artist- HILARY DUFF - "WITH LOVE"
- Favourite International Group - MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE - "WELCOME TO THE BLACK PARADE"
- Favourite Canadian Group - BILLY TALENT - "DEVIL IN A MIDNIGHT MASS"
- Favourite Canadian Artist - AVRIL LAVIGNE - "GIRLFRIEND"
- Best International Video By A Canadian - AVRIL LAVIGNE - "GIRLFRIEND"
Red carpet and press room pics
FLICK OFF at Gift Lounge
The VIPs at the event were treated to premium goodies at The 2007 MMVAs Gift Lounge. Mingling, sampling, and customizing their collection, they also received a pre-packaged gift bag.
Available to them were:
- Balmshell Lipgloss Collection in a Balmshell Market Bag
- Cosabella Lingerie
- Evian Natural Spring Water
- FLICK OFF gear
- Fossil Canada Fashion Watches for Men and Women
- Glamour Campaign Apparel for Women and Men
- Guess? Inc. Best-selling Footwear for Men & Women
- Luxottica Designer Sunglasses
- Mavi Jeans "Perfect Fit" Jeans
- MGA Entertainment BRATZ THE MOVIE Dolls
- Nine West Rolling Luggage and Large Tote Bag
- Nokia 5300 Xpress Music Phone and BH-800 Bluetooth Headset
- Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system
MMVA attendees were invited to FLICK OFF, as part of a Canadian advertising campaign intended to promote energy conservation by reducing electricity usage to young people. The 'L' and the 'I' together are perceived as a 'U' which has struck some criticism in the Canadian media.