Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits southern Taiwan
Saturday, February 6, 2016
A magnitude 6.4hit southern around 4:00am today local time (2000 yesterday ) southeast of , a city with about two million people, according to the (USGS). By various reports, as many as thirteen or fourteen people may have died, more than 100 may be missing, and put the injured at well over 400.
The seism was reported by the USGS initially with a magnitude of 6.7. Several buildings collapsed in Tainan including a 17-story residential building. Emergency services said they had rescued over 200 people, many of whom were hospitalized. At least five aftershocks are reported.
The island of Taiwan lies in the, a seismically active zone, near where two tectonic plates meet. In 1999 a magnitude 7.6 earthquake struck the center of Taiwan leaving more than 2,000 dead.
- "At least 14 killed as multiple buildings collapse in 6.4 Taiwan quake" — , February 6, 2016
- "Deadly earthquake topples buildings in Taiwan city of Tainan" — , February 6, 2016
- Faith Hung, Yimou Lee. "Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block" — , February 6, 2016
- Joanna Walters. "Taiwan earthquake: death toll rises with dozens trapped in toppled building" — , February 6, 2016
- Steve Almasy and Kevin Wang. "5 dead after magnitude-6.4 earthquake shocks Taiwan" — , February 6, 2016