Melbourne's tram-driving teen faces more charges
Thursday, April 21, 2005
The 15-year-old Australian boy charged on Sunday night related to the alleged theft of a Tram, faces another nine charges over prior incidents, bringing the total to 18 charges. The new allegations relate to theft of a bus, attempted theft of a train, and another incident with a tram.
On Monday he was also charged over an incident, in which a tram was allegedly stolen from Southbank on Friday.
The boy was arrested yesterday at his Sunshine home and bailed to appear in Melbourne Children's Court in June, over the nine new charges.
On Monday, Yarra Trams spokesperson Colin Tyrus told The Age that there had been "a mystery collision in the depot on April 10".
"After what happened on Sunday we obviously reported all of that to the police and we are continuing to assist them with their inquiries," Mr Tyrus said.
Police allege he drove a vehicle in the Southbank yard and hit another tram, on April 10, causing $2000 damage.
And on April 9, it is alleged, he jumped a fence at a Footscray bus depot, found some keys and drove a bus around the yard. Later, it is believed he tried unsuccessfully to start a diesel train at a rail yard in North Melbourne, and then absconded carrying the keys.
- ABC News Online. "Melbourne tram thief faces further charges" — , April 20, 2005
- Australian Associated Press. "Tram teen faces bus, train theft charges" — , April 21, 2005
- The Age. "Tram boy faces bus, train charges" — , April 21, 2005
- Matt Cunningham. "Boy's spree on trams, train and bus" — , April 21, 2005