More than 80 people killed in Nice, France attack on Bastille Day
Friday, July 15, 2016
Yesterday at about 10:30 pm French city of , a truck killed at least 84 people and more than 100 people were injured, at least 18 critically, who were watching fireworks on evening, French officials reported. The attacker was later shot dead by the police.(2030 ) in the
The attacker drove for some distance — by one report as much as 2(more than a ) — through the crowd along the . The owner of the Le Queenie Restaurant near the seaport told , "People went down like ninepins".
20-year-old eyewitness Fanny told Reuters the fast-approaching truck was moving in a zigzag manner, driving in the pedestrian area. Another survivor described sheltering with others in a restaurant. An eyewitness named Nader told he thought the driver had lost control of the truck. Later, he also saw the driver taking out a gun.
((fr))French language: C’est un tragique paradoxe que les cibles de l’attaque Nice attaque soient les gens qui célébraient liberté, égalité, fraternité.President said, "Tragic paradox that the subject of the Nice Attack was people celebrating "
French president François Hollande tweeted, "France is tearful, sorrowful, but she is strong and will always be more than the fanatics who now want to smite her." ((fr))French language: La France est éplorée, affligée, mais elle est forte et le sera toujours plus que les fanatiques qui veulent aujourd’hui la frapper.
A few hours before the incident, Hollande had announced the state of emergency would be lifted on July 26 after November'sattack, but after this incident, he announced extending the state of emergency into October. Condemning the incident, he said, "We will further strengthen our actions in and in ." He also said "operational reserves" will be called up to support the armed forces in France.
- Donald Tusk. "Donald Tusk on Twitter" — , July 15, 2016
- François Hollande. "François Hollande on Twitter" — , July 15, 2016
- GouvernementFR. "French Gouvernement on Twitter" — , July 15, 2016
- "Nice attack: At least 80 dead as lorry rams into crowd" — , July 15, 2016
- At least 80 dead in France truck attack in Nice" — , July 15, 2016 . "
- "DIRECT. Au moins 84 morts dans l'attentat du 14 juillet à Nice, l'auteur formellement identifié" — , July 15, 2016 ()
- Sophie Sassard and Michel Bernouin. "Truck attacker plows into French crowd, kills 84 celebrating Bastille Day" — , July 15, 2016
- "At least 84 dead in 'terrorist' Nice truck attack" — , July 15, 2016
- "Nice attack: At least 84 killed during Bastille Day celebrations" — , July 15, 2016