Muguruza defeats Williams to win her first Grand Slam title in French Open
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
player , aged 22, defeated 7–5, 6–4, on Saturday to win the 2016 women's final in .
The victory was Muguruza's firsttitle, and improved her world ranking to second behind Williams in women's tennis. She became 's first women's Grand Slam champion since won the French Open in 1998.
Muguruza won the first set 7–5, breaking early in the set to grab a 3–2 lead. Williams was down 3–1 early in the second set; the Spaniard completed the set 6–4. For Williams with 22 Grand Slam titles, it was a second consecutive Grand Slam loss.
Muguruza and Williams played in last year'sfinal, with opposite results — Williams won. After the match, Muguruza said, "I can't explain with words how this day means to me. You work all your life to get here". Williams, appearing upset after the loss, thanked her coach and said they would "try again next year."
In Williams's first Grand Slam competition this year, she lost thefinal to , two sets to one.
- "Kerber wins over Serena Williams 6-4 3-6 6-4 in Aus Open 2016" — Wikinews, January 30, 2016
- Garbine Muguruza defeats Serena Williams to win women’s French Open final for first grand slam title" — , June 5, 2016 . "
- Nick McCarvel. "Serena Williams falls to Spain's Muguruza in French Open final" — , June 5, 2016
- "Muguruza shocks Serena for first major" — , June 4, 2016
- "Match Statistics" — , June 4, 2016