Muqtada al-Sadr calls for end to fighting
Sunday, March 30, 2008
The statement and offer came from al-Sadr's headquarters in Najaf. In the statement Sadr said, "Because of the religious responsibility, and to stop Iraqi blood being shed, and to maintain the unity of Iraq and to put an end to this sedition that the occupiers and their followers want to spread among the Iraqi people, we call for an end to armed appearances in Basra and all other provinces."
Sadr also condemned further attacks against the Iraqi government stating, "We announce our disavowal from anyone who carries weapons and targets government institutions, charities and political party offices."
However, al-Sadr also called on the government to offer general amnesty, release detainees and stop what he believes are illegal raids.
An Iraqi government spokesman, Ali al-Dabbagh, welcomed the statement as "positive and responsive." The Madhi Army had been negotiating since Saturday night with the Iraqi government. Ali al-Dabbagh said, "As the government of Iraq we welcome this statement. We believe this will support the government of Iraq's efforts to impose security."
American forces targeted the Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City with air strikes that killed 9 people and wounded 14. Another airstrike was launched at the northern Baghdad neighborhood of al-Zuhor, which killed 6 people and wounded 14. The American military said they killed 11 militants in those areas.
- Mohammed Tawfeeq; Jonathan Wald. "Al-Sadr calls off fighting amid airstrikes, crackdown" — , March 30, 2008
- "Al-Sadr offers to pull fighters off Iraq's streets" — , March 30, 2008
- "Iraq's Al-Sadr Calls on Shi'ite Fighters to Stop Fighting Iraqi Forces" — , March 30, 2008
- "Iraqi cleric calls off militias" — , March 30, 2008
- "Sadr orders fighters to stand down" — , March 30, 2008