NATO intensifies attack on Libya
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Libyan state TV station Libya yet. The strike lasted 30 minutes and targeted a military facility that had been used to attack civilians, according to a NATO official who spoke with Reuters.says nineteen people are dead and 150 more are wounded in what was the largest NATO bombing of
The bombings are part of the U.S. initiative to remove Gaddafi from power, which has since been taken over by NATO. The campaign to halt Gaddafi's 41-year rule of Libya began in response to violent action taken against a public uprising in March. The United Nations approved the NATO bombing campaign to protect Libyan citizens in the civil war.
While the air strikes on the current Libyan regime are being increased, the rebels accepted the U.S. invitation yesterday to open an office in Washington. This does not indicate formal recognition, but it may indicate that the U.S. is following the lead of France and other countries in partnering with the Libyan opposition.
Despite the rebel forces possessing much of eastern Libya and the intensifying attacks on Gaddafi's government, no breakthrough seems imminent in the battle for power, according to the.
Gaddafi scoffs at NATO's attacks, claiming he is untouchable as he "lives in the hearts of millions".
- John F. Burns. "NATO bombs Tripoli in heaviest strikes yet" — , May 24, 2011
- "NATO hits Tripoli; US says rebels can open office" — , May 24, 2011
- Joseph Logan. "NATO bombs Tripoli, U.S. says time against Gaddafi" — , May 24, 2011