NHL: DiPietro shines in Islanders win over Penguins
Thursday, March 22, 2007
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|
Rick DiPietro stopped 35 of 36 shots as the New York Islanders defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-1 Thursday night, snapping a three game losing streak and DiPietro's career high 31st win of the season. It was a frustrating game for the Penguins, as they were unable to convert 0 of 6 power play attempts.
Colby Armstrong scored the game's first goal, assisted by Gary Roberts and Sergei Gonchar, to give the Penguins the early lead. After Armstrong scored, the Islanders' defense tightened, and would not give up another goal. Trent Hunter scored a goal on an Islanders power play 2:37 into the 2nd period, assisted by Miroslav Satan and Chris Campoli. Less than three minutes later, Jason Blake would notch his 36th of the year, beating Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. Blake's goal was assisted by Ryan Smith and Tom Poti. New York would seal the deal at 1:42 in the 3rd period when Viktor Kozlov scored his 22nd goal of the season, with Alexei Yashin and Miroslav Satan assisting on the play.
Three Stars of the Game
- #1 - Miroslav Satan, RW, NYI - 2 Assists
- #2 - Ryan Smyth, LW, NYI - 1 Assist
- #3 - Rick DiPietro, G, NYI - 35 saves, .972 Save Pct.
- Official Website of the Pittsburgh Penguins
- New York Islanders - Official Website
- Official Website of the New York Islanders
- "NY Islanders 3, Pittsburgh 1" — , 3/22/07
- By Jason Lockhart. "DiPietro leads Islanders to crucial victory over Pens" — , 3/22/07