Nadal defeats Monfils to claim his ninth Monte Carlo Masters title
Monday, April 18, 2016
player beat 7-5, 5–7, 6–0, to win his ninth title yesterday. Nadal, who is ranked world number five in men's tennis, last won the title in 2012 and has now claimed the 68th singles title of his career.
Nadal won the first set 7–5 in 73 minutes, Spaniard Nadal hit 25 . Completing the third set 6–0, Nadal denied Monfils the chance to win the title for what would have been the first time in his career.early in the set to grab a 3–1 lead. Monfils fought back in the second set winning 7–5 after breaking Nadal's serve 3 times. During the match 29-year-old
The match was completed in two hours 45 minutes. After the match, Nadal said, "Well I think it's amazing, no, it's a tournament really that I love so much, it's so special for me. I won the first one here, and a couple of times I was struggling a little bit and I came back here and played well, so this victory means a lot to me and I am so happy for everything. I hope to, to that victory helps me a lot for the next couple of tournaments, but anyway winning here in Monte Carlo for the ninth time is something, just, unbelievable."
This was Nadal's first title in 2016.
- "Rafael Nadal VS Gael Monfils | Match Stats" — , April 17, 2016
- "Rafael Nadal | Titles and Finals" — , April 18, 2016 (date of access)
- "Gael Monfils | Titles and Final" — , April 18, 2016 (date of access)
- Josh Meiseles. "Nadal Reclaims Throne: How The Monte-Carlo Final Was Won" — , April 17, 2016
- "Nadal Final interview" — , April 17, 2016