Nightwish announce Anette Olzon as new lead vocalist
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
The announcement comes 19 months after original vocalist Tarja Turunen was sacked.
Olzen had previously been in the band Alyson Avenue, and was selected from over 2,000 separate applicants for the place in Nightwish. Part of an official statement by the band said “She’s already so much more than we were ever expecting to get. ... The new album will be a monster!!!” The band first met with Olzen earlier this year during Olzen's first visit to Finland.
Olzon said she had not previously heard much of Nightwish until shortly before Turunen was sacked. One week after sending Nightwish a demo, she received a personal reply from Nightwish keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen. She was informed at one point, however, that she could not take the part as she was a mother and Nightwish were worried that could impact on their touring schedule, but Olzon forwarded a DVD of a live concert with her previous band that apparently changed Nightwish's mind. She was not told of the band's decision, however, until January 30th this year.
Olzon's Former bandmates posted a message to the official MySpace account of their own band, wishing her "all the best" and stated that they "Know That You Will Kick Ass!!" in her new position.
- "Nightwish announce new singer" — , May 30, 2007
- "Nightwish Announces New Singer Anette Olzon" — , May 28, 2007
- "Former Bandmates To New Nightwish Singer: 'We Know That You Will Kick Ass!'" — , May 27, 2007
- "Official Nightwish Singer Announcement" — , May 26, 2007
- "Nightwish signs Swede Anette Olzon as new vocalist" — , May 25, 2007