Nine killed as protests spread to Kandahar over Qur'an burning
Saturday, April 2, 2011
Violent protests over the burning of a Afghanistan city of , a day after an angry mob attacked a United Nations compound at in northern Afghanistan, killing seven UN workers and four Afghan protesters.by a US church spread on Saturday to the southern
According to Kandahar officials, the protests over the Florida a month ago started peacefully but became violent when mobs began roaming the streets, vandalizing buildings and burning cars. and US soldiers tried to protect a complex of government buildings when a mob attempted to storm them.in
Nine people were killed, and 73 injured. Some witnesses said that people who refused to join the violence were beaten and stoned. Others said Afghan police shot demonstrators. The police have denied shooting anyone. "There [was] gunfire into the air in order to bring the people under control, and luckily not one has been killed as a result of the gunfire," said Zemarai Bashari, CNN.spokesperson as reported by
Zalmai Ayoubi, spokesperson for the governor of, said that Afghan police arrested 17 people, seven of whom were armed and are suspects in the shooting of protesters. He blamed Taliban insurgents and their supporters for infiltrating the demonstration.
A Taliban spokesperson, , denied that the Taliban was responsible for any deaths during Saturday's violence: "It was the Afghan police that killed the innocent people of Kandahar while they were expressing their feeling against the burning of holy Quran in Florida."
Kandahar is seen as a stronghold of the Taliban insurgency and in the last two months the province has seen several assassinations and suicide bombings.
- "UN workers killed by Afghans over burning of a Qur'an in Florida" — Wikinews, April 2, 2011
- "Pressure mounts against Florida church plans to burn Qur'an" — Wikinews, August 7, 2010
- "Pastor of Florida church cancels plans to burn Qur'an, later reconsiders" — Wikinews, September 10, 2010
- Susan Sachs. "Deadly protests flare up in Kandahar after Koran burning" — , April 2, 2011
- "Quran-burning protests spread to Kandahar; 9 dead" — , April 2, 2011