Olympic highlights: August 15, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
August 15, 2008 is the 7th major day of the 2008 Olympic games, the below article lists some of the highlights.
Men's 200-meter individual medley
Michael Phelps won his sixth gold medal of the Beijing Olympics with a world-record time of 1:54.23 in the final of the men's 200m individual medley. The gold puts him one gold medal away from Mark Spitz's individual record of seven gold medals at a single Olympiad, set at the Munich Olympics in 1972. It was also his sixth world record, also one short of a single-Olympiad record set by Spitz as well.
The previous world record time was 1:54.80, set by Phelps at the 2008 United States Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebrasha.
Men's 50m freestyle
In the first semifinal of the men's 50m freestyle, Cesar Cielo Filho set a new Olympic record with a time of 21.34 seconds, 0.12 seconds ahead of the previous Olympic record and 0.06 seconds behind the current world record.
"It was a great race. The 50m is so fast and it was my best-ever race," said Filho after the race. 'I'm in lane four [in the final]. I'll just do my best and focus on my own race and will touch the wall with my best performance."
Women's 200m breaststroke
American Rebecca Soni net a new world record and won the gold medal in the final of the women's 200m breaststroke with a time of 2:20.22.
Women's 75kg weightlifting
The Chinese Cao Lei set a new world record and won the gold medal women's 75kg weightlifting. Her score of 282 beat the competitor who took the silver medal by sixteen points.
"I was excited and overjoyed because I won the seventh gold medal for Chinese weightlifting," she said, after the event.
Men's individual pursuit
British Bradley Wiggins set a new Olympic record in qualifying round of the men's individual pursuit with a time of 4:15.031 and an average speed of 56.463 km/h.
Hayden Roulston, who was representing New Zealand, finished in second place, while Alexei Markov finished in third place with a time of 4:21.498.
Women's artistic gymnastics individual all-around
American Nastia Liukin won the gold medal in the women's individual all-around in artistic gymnastics. She is the daughter of former Soviet Union gymnast Valeri Liukin, who won a gold medal at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. Her total score was 63.325: 15.025 in vault, 16.650 in uneven bars, 16.125 in balance beam and 15.525 in floor exercise. Her scores at balance beam and floor exercise were the top scores for the individual all-around competition.
Her American teammate, Shawn Johnson, won the silver medal with a total score of 62.725. Johnson had the top score in the vault, with a score of 15.875. Chinese gymnast Yang Yilin won the bronze medal with a total score of 61.925. Yang had the top score in the uneven bars, with a score of 16.725.
|2008 Olympics - Beijing, China|
|Trinidad and Tobago||0||2||0||2||60|
|Source: Beijing 2008 Official Site|
- "Records" — , August 15, 2008
- "Brazil's Cielo Filho fastest into 50m free final" — , August 15, 2008
- "Men's 50m Freestyle Semifinal 1" — , August 15, 2008
- "Women's 75kg" — , August 15, 2008
- "Mixed joy and sadness for Chinese strongwoman Cao Lei" — , August 15, 2008
- Douglas Hamilton. "Angry Swede throws down medal, quits" — , August 14, 2008
- "Swedish wrestler throws away Olympic medal" — , August 14, 2008
- Andy Hooper. "Swedish wrestler Ara Abrahamian vows to quit after throwing away Olympic medal" — , August 14, 2008
- Karen Crouse. "Phelps Wins 200 Individual Medley for Sixth Gold" — , August 14, 2008
- Jay Mariotti. "The Machine: Phelps wins No. 6, eyes legacy: Swimmer remains on course for eight golds after 200 IM victory" — , August 14, 2008