Pakistan Taliban say Baitullah Mehsud is dead
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
, amīr (leader) of the (TTP), is dead, said two Taliban leaders in a phone call to the . Mehsud was reportedly killed on August 5, 2009, during a on ; however, , who was recently chosen as Baitullah's successor, and told the BBC that Mehsud had died on Sunday, August 23, 2009 of injuries sustained on August 5.
Pakistani Interior Minister delayed giving official confirmation and asked for patience and an announcement by or other agencies. Major General , ISPR spokesman, and of the had said that his death could not be confirmed although U.S. had claimed that there was "pretty conclusive" evidence that proved Baitullah Mehsud had been killed and that he was 90% sure of it.
Mehsud formed the TTP from an alliance of about five pro-Taliban groups in December 2007, and commanded up to 5,000 fighters. Pakistan blamed him for numerous attacks including the assassination in 2007 of Benazir Bhutto, the former of Pakistan and wife of , according to . The U.S. offered a 5 million bounty for his capture. According to the BBC, Pakistan had been unable to provide tangible evidence of his death because of the "remote and hostile terrain" of South Waziristan.
- "Taliban confirm commander's death" — , August 25, 2009
- Salman Masood. "Taliban Confirm Death of Leader" — , August 25, 2009
- "Pakistan Taliban say Mehsud is dead" — , August 25, 2009
- Ed Johnson. "Taliban Kill Father-in-Law of Slain Chief Mehsud, Pakistan Says" — , August 24, 2009
- Paul Tighe and Ian Katz. "Pakistan Challenges Taliban to Show Leader Mehsud Still Alive" — , August 10, 2009
- Jason Subler, Patrick Graham and Kamran Haider. "UPDATE 3-US says evidence Taliban chief dead "pretty conclusive"" — , August 9, 2009
- "White House declines to confirm death of Taliban chief in Pakistan" — , August 8, 2009
- Ram D. "Security Officials Confirmed Baitullah Mehsud Killed" — , August 7, 2009
- "ISPR denies reports of Mehsud killing" — , August 7, 2009
- Salman Masood. "Blast Kills Surgeon General of Pakistani Army" — , February 26, 2008