Peltola defeats Palin, Begich in Alaska special election for US House of Representatives
Monday, September 5, 2022
Democrat won a special election for Alaska's sole seat in the United States House of Representatives Wednesday, defeating Republican candidates Sarah Palin, former governor of the state, and Nick Begich III, grandson of former Representative
The special election was called after the death of, who was elected to the seat in 1973.
Though Peltola earned only 40.20% of the vote in the first round of tabulations, Alaska'sintroduced in 2020 meant she defeated Palin with 51.47% of the vote after Begich, the candidate with the fewest votes, was eliminated. She will serve the remainder of Young's term until the , which Palin and Begich intend to challenge.
Peltola became the first Democrat to hold the seat since Begich Sr. was presumed to have died when his plane disappeared in 1972. Analyzing the results, CNN reporter Eric Bradner wrote Palin's defeat "sure to add to Republicans' growing concerns" in attempting to regain control of the House. However, analyst Nathaniel Rakich identified Palin as a "very flawed", controversial candidate less likely than Begich to win against Peltola in a head-to-head matchup.
After Peltola's win, Palin claimed that the outcome was a result of the ranked-choice voting system, calling it "crazy, convoluted, and confusing". Meanwhile, Begich congratulated Peltola but claimed that "a vote for Sarah Palin is in reality a vote for Mary Peltola" since "Palin simply doesn't have enough support from Alaskans to win an election."
- Moira Warburton. Democrat Mary Peltola beats Sarah Palin in Alaska special election <broken link> — , September 1, 2022
- Eric Bradner. Why Sarah Palin's loss could be a sign of midterm troubles for Republicans <broken link> — , September 1, 2022
- Nathaniel Rakich. What Democrats' Win In Alaska Tells Us About November <broken link> — , September 1, 2022
- Becky Bohrer. Peltola beats Palin, wins Alaska House special election <broken link> — , September 1, 2022
- State of Alaska 2022 SPECIAL GENERAL ELECTION RCV Tabulation August 16, 2022 UNOFFICIAL RESULTS <broken link> — , August 31, 2022
- Press Release: "For immediate release" — , August 31, 2022