Police station in Algeria hit by bombing
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
According to reports, at least 4 people are dead and several are injured. Full details have not yet been released. The bomb went off at about 0600 UTC (7 AM local time) today.
It is currently not clear whether the bombing was caused by aor a .
The bombing, although less serious than thewhich killed 40 people, is likely to raise suspicions that violence has not ended in Algeria. It is the first bombing to hit Algeria since the bombings in early December.
The bombing was announced in a statement by a spokesman for the Algerian Interior Ministry in which the following was said - "There has been an attack with explosives near a police station in Naciria. The attack left three dead and seven wounded."
Frequent terrorism first hit Algeria after measures were carried out by the government to stop aparty winning the elections. That party has now been banned.
A witness of the event said that the majority of injuries hit police officers and not the general public.
- "Two car bombs kill scores in Algiers, Algeria" — Wikinews, December 11, 2007
- "Terrorist attacks in Algiers, Algeria kill 23 people and wound 162" — Wikinews, April 11, 2007
- "Bombing hits Algerian police post" — , January 2, 2008
- "Suicide bomb at Algerian police station kills four" — , January 2, 2008
- "Bomb Kills 4 in Algeria, Wounds 7" — , January 2, 2008