Prince Philip of UK makes last solo public engagement after 65 years
Saturday, August 5, 2017
The United Kingdom's , 96, performed his last solo official royal public engagement, before retiring from his official duties as the consort of after 65 years of service, with a Captain General's parade of the at on Wednesday.
As the Captain General, he took the royal salute and inspected the soldiers to mark the end of the 1664 Global Challenge. He told the soldiers humorously "You all should be locked up" after they completed a 2,678(1664 ) trek in support of the Royal Marines Charity.
Theresa May offered her well wishes and gratitude to Prince Philip, 95 years old at the time.announced Philip's retirement plan in May. Philip succeeded — Elizabeth's father — as Captain General of marines in 1953, the year after she succeeded him as monarch. On the announcement in May, Prime Minister
Lady Myra Butter, an acquaintance of Philip's for more than eight decades, said onprogram , of Philip's future after retirement, "I'm sure that he won't disappear, he will be greatly missed by everybody. He's been such a stable character in all our lives — he's always there and he's always been there for the Queen and I think we're very, very lucky to have him."
Serving longer than any other British consort, Philip has made 22,219 solo public engagements as consort, 637 solo overseas visits, 5,496 speeches, and 14 books. He currently supports or belongs to more than 780 organisations.
Phillip, Greece, and was born on the Greek island of . Philip is a former naval officer and courted Elizabeth during his service in the . He married her in 1947 in . This November will be their 70th wedding anniversary. Elizabeth described Philip as "my strength and stay"., is a nephew of late King of
- "Prince Philip retires: Queen Elizabeth's husband bows out of public life" — , August 3, 2017
- "Prince Philip performs last official royal function" — , August 3, 2017
- Caroline Davies. "Prince Philip ends seven decades of service with final solo engagement" — , August 3, 2017
- "Prince Philip carries out final official engagement" — , August 2, 2017
- Dan Bilefsky. "Prince Philip Makes His Last Solo Appearance, After 65 Years in the Public Eye" — , August 2, 2017
- Reuters. "Prince Philip Bows Out, Retires From Public Duties" — , August 2, 2017