Rafael Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon Championships
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Rafael Nadal, the 2008 Men's Singles winner at , announced today his withdrawal from the because of a knee injury caused by his . The formal announcement came after he had played the second of his warm-up matches.
|I am picking Andy Murray or Roger Federer|
On Thursday, whilst playing, Nadal had experienced issues with moving about the court. Again, whilst playing today, he had problems and lost the match.
He will be the first champion to not defend his Wimbledon championship sincepulled out in 2002.
As a result, fifth seedtakes Nadal's place in the first quarter of the draw, seventeenth seed takes del Potro's place in the fifth quarter, becomes the thirty-third seed and takes Blake's place in the fourth quarter, with his own previous spot now filled by lucky loser .
Andy Murray or . […] For Nadal to win five in a row (at the French Open) was a big goal this year. I am sure he was very, very disappointed when he went home after Paris. That defeat took him many, many days to get over. Nadal is saying he has got an injury, but he has to be fit at Wimbledon if he wants to go all the way, and I do not think he will go all the way this year."was quoted on Tuesday (June 16) as saying "Nadal is always a dangerous player because he is the best in the world — but what happened in Paris and then the injury, I am picking
- "Champion Nadal won't defend his title" — , June 19, 2009
- John Ashdown. "Rafael Nadal pulls out of Wimbledon with knee injury" — , June 19, 2009
- Neil McLeman. "Rafa Nadal is not Bjorn Borg's Wimbledon pick" — , June 17, 2009
- "Wimbledon 2009: Andy Murray the man to beat says Bjorn Borg" — , June 17, 2009
- Adrian Curtis. "NADAL'S EXIT BOOSTS MURRAY TITLE BID" — , June 20, 2009