Ralph Nader: Obama will likely face challenge in Democratic primaries
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Consumer advocate and four-time presidential candidate Barack Obama will face a primary challenge from a . Nader has led a campaign for the past few months to draft a progressive to run in the Democratic , which are held to determine the party's presidential nominee. He insists that he will not be the candidate and has labeled a potential run for the presidency in 2012 as "unlikely".revealed Thursday to that there is an "almost 100 percent" chance that U.S. President
Incumbent presidents usually do not receive any serious challenges from within their party, but it has happened in the past. Senator Jimmy Carter in , and in , paleoconservative commentator opposed President . Though both incumbent presidents secured their respective parties' nominations, the opposing party defeated them in the general election.challenged Democratic President
Nader has criticized President Obama for allowing theto continue late last year and is angry with the President's recent with Republicans to cut spending. He argued that a "public works project" was necessary to create jobs.
In order for a challenge to be successful, Nader believes it must come from "an ex-senator or ex-governor [or] an intellectual leader or an environmental leader". Senator Vermont, who denied speculation that he might challenge the president, acknowledged that "if a progressive Democrat wants to run, I think it would enliven the debate [and] raise some issues." Congressman , former Senator Mike Gravel and columnist have been mentioned as possible candidates.of
A CNN/ORC International poll from last month showed that nearly one fourth of Democrats will not commit to whether they think Obama should be renominated, and nearly a quarter of Americans that oppose the president believe he is not liberal enough.
- Steven Nelson. "Nader rules out another run but ‘almost 100 percent’ certain Obama will face primary challenge" — , August 4, 2011
- Alex M. Parker. "Will Debt Ceiling Deal Cost Obama His Liberal Base?" — , August 3, 2011
- John Nichols. "Obama's Compromising Stirs Talk of Dem Primary Challenge; Bernie Sanders Says It's a 'Good Idea'" — , July 23, 2011
- Jennifer Epstein. "Ralph Nader: Pressure Obama with primary" — , April 27, 2011
- Kevin Derby. "Presidential Derby" — , February 23, 2011
- Mark I. Pinsky. "An Anti-War Challenge to Obama in 2012: The Case for Alan Grayson" — , December 28, 2010