Russians continue to top podium on third day of European Deaf Swimming Championships
Friday, June 27, 2014
With day three of the European Deaf Swimming Championships wrapped up on Wednesday in Russia, the host nation continues to lead in total number of gold medals awarded.,
Russian men swept the podium in the men's 50mwith Ilya Trishkin taking home gold and besting the previous European Championship Record with a time of 25.62. Fellow Russian Vitaliy Obotin finished first in the men's 200m , setting a new European record in the process and beating out the next closest swimmer in today's competition, Trishkin, by almost 5 seconds. Eleonora Brykanova won a gold in the women's 100m . Martin Fomin finished first in the men's 200m , with a European Championship Record time of 2:24.27. Russian swimmers claimed half the total gold medals awarded on the day, and half the total of all medals awarded.
The remaining gold medals were distributed amongst four other countries. Ukraine's Anna Tovsta won gold in the women's 800m freestyle. Poland's Artur Pioro finished first in the men's 400m freestyle. Great Britain's Danielle Joyce captured gold in the women's 200m with a world record time of 2:25.38. Belarus's Aksana Petrushenka finished first in the women's 100m . During the preliminary race, she set a new European Championship Record with a time of 1:15.33 before going on to better that time in the final with a time of 1:13.23.
Overall, Ukraine climbed one place over Germany in the overall medal rankings, having won four total medals on Wednesday. Poland and Great Britain also went up one spot each. Germany fell to sixth place, having won only one silver medal on the day. Swimmers from Greece, Latvia, Netherlands, Portugal, Republic of Macedonia, Spain and Turkey failed to win any medals.
Yesterday was an off day for swimming, and competition had continued today.
|7||Republic of Macedonia||0||0||0||0|
- "Russians top podium on second day of European Deaf Swimming Championships" — Wikinews, June 25, 2014
- "11th European Deaf Swimming Championships, SARANSK, 23. - 28.6.2014 - Day 3" — , June 27, 2014
- "11th European Deaf Swimming Championships" — , June 27, 2014 (access date)
- "Federación Española de Deportes para Sordos - FEDS" — , June 27, 2014 (access date)
- "European Deaf Sport Organization" — , June 27, 2014 (access date)
- World Deaf Swimming. "World Deaf Swimming" — , June 27, 2014 (access date)
- "Great Britain's Joyce sets world record at European Deaf Swimming championships" — , June 27, 2014
- "11th European Deaf Swimming Championships, SARANSK, 23. - 28.6.2014 - Day 1" — , June 23, 2014