SAG Awards handed out
Monday, January 30, 2006
ABC remained a Screen Actors Guild (SAG) award winning powerhouse, with LOST and Desperate Housewives winning Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in their respective categories. Keifer Sutherland (24) and Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy) won for the performances in Drama Series, and Sean Hayes (Will and Grace) and Felicity Huffman (Desperate Housewives) were honoured for their Comedy Series performances. Paul Newman won Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries, for his potrayal of Max Roby in HBO's Empire Falls, while S. Epatha Merkerson role of Rachel "Nanny" Crosby in Lackawanna Blues took the Female Actor.
The SAG selects a random portion of their professional members each year, to vote on each award category. The 12th annual awards ceremony for the 2005 season was hosted on Sunday.
William Shatner, who was nominated that night for his role in Boston Legal, introduced a "cinematic salute" to SAG members who perform in television advertisements. Shatner himself is a frequent commercial actor, known for appearing in Priceline.com commercials.
After a filmed tribute, actress Jamie Lee Curtis presented Shirley Temple Black with the Screen Actors Guild Awards 42nd Annual Life Achievement Award.
THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURES
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote / CAPOTE (UA/Sony Pictures Classics)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Reese Witherspoon as June Carter/ WALK THE LINE (20th Century Fox)
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Paul Giamatti (Joe Gould) / CINDERELLA MAN (Universal Pictures)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Rachel Weisz as Tessa Quayle / THE CONSTANT GARDENER (Focus Features)
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: CRASH (Lionsgate)
- "Screen actors guild honors outstanding film and television performances in 13 categories at the 12th annual screen actors guild awards®" — , 29 January 2006