Sebastian Vettel wins 2009 Japanese Grand Prix
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Sebastian Vettel scored nine points more than Button and maintained his chances to win the championship. He is now 16 points behind Button and only 2 behind Rubens Barrichello. Brawn also lead the Constructor's standings with 156 points. Red Bull are 35.5 points behind, still giving the team a chance to win the championship.
In other racing news this week, Fernando Alonso will move from Renault to Ferrari next season. His contract will last for three years with an option to continue. Alonso was very enthusiastic about his decision, confessing in an interview that "it would be even more special to win a championship with Ferrari... All drivers dream one day of driving for Ferrari and this dream has come true for me. I'm extremely happy and I'm ready for the challenge in 2010!". Räikkönen is now free to choose another team. Alonso's teammate would be Felipe Massa who was injured this year during the Hungarian GP qualifying. Massa was forced to retire at the end of this F1 season.
- "Lewis Hamilton wins 2009 Singapore Grand Prix" — Wikinews, September 28, 2009
- "Fernando Alonso takes pole at 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, Felipe Massa badly injured" — Wikinews, July 25, 2009
- "Race results - Vettel wins in Japan to keep his title hopes alive" — , October 4, 2009
- "Sebastian Vettel wins Japanese GP to cut the gap on Jenson Button" — , October 4, 2009
- "Sebastian Vettel wins Japanese Grand Prix" — , October 4, 2009
- "Vettel on Japan pole, five cop penalties" — , October 3, 2009
- "Fernando Alonso Q&A: winning for Ferrari would be very special" — , October 1, 2009