Security guard for Scientology building shoots, kills man
Sunday, November 23, 2008
According to reports, a security guard working at the building shot and killed the man after he allegedly approached the officer with swords in both hands. He arrived to the Church in a red convertible and approached the guard in the center's parking lot. After the guard told the man to leave, he began to run at the guard with the sword. At least three guards are reported to have been present at the time of the shooting, but it is not known how many fired shots.
April Harding, a Los Angeles police spokesman, said that the guard "felt threatened" and fired the gun at the man. The man was taken to a local hospital, where he died of his injuries.
Police are investigating the incident, and have closed off the building. Harding says the guard has been detained while authorities investigate the incident. Harding believes the shooting was done in self defense.
- "Man shot, killed at Scientology building in LA" — , November 23, 2008
- Sue Doyle. "Sword-wielding man shot and killed in Scientology parking lot" — , November 23, 2008
- James Wagner and Harriet Ryan. "Guard fatally shoots man with sword at Scientology church" — , November 23, 2008
- "Sword-Wielding Man Shot by Scientology Security Guard" — , November 23, 2008
- Associated Press. "Scientology security kills man w/ sword" — , November 23, 2008