Security scare prompts UK-US flight to divert
Friday, August 25, 2006
An American Airlines spokesman in London, Richard Hedges, said: "I can confirm AA flight 55 from Manchester to Chicago (was) diverted into Bangor, Maine, due to a possible security concern."
An FBI spokeswoman, Gail Marcinkiewicz, said: "We're responding to determine the cause of the diversion. It's going to take a number of hours for passengers to be interviewed. The pilot made a decision to divert the plane and we're investigating this now. We're interviewing the pilot, crew and passengers."
According to the FBI, the flight was diverted when officials "learned of a reported threat to the aircraft while it was en route," said Richard Kolko, another spokeman for the FBI.
The US Transportation Security Administration said: "Given the current threat level, the agency, in conjunction with other federal authorities, took prudent action to assure the safety of the passengers and crew. The plane has landed safely and passengers are being de-planed while TSA canines search the airplane. Responders are on the scene and the FBI will be interviewing the passengers and crew to further assess the situation."
There is no word on what caused the flight to be diverted, but Guardian Unlimited is reporting that the bomb squad has been asked to assist. There are at least 179 passengers onboard the plane.
Since August 10, when police in the UK claimed they had foiled a suspected plot to blow up several transatlantic planes, there have been several similar incidents.
- "12 arrested after India-bound flight escorted back to Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport" — Wikinews, August 23, 2006
- "Pair taken off plane because of "suspicious" behaviour" — Wikinews, August 20, 2006
- "United Airlines Flight 923 makes emergency landing at Logan International Airport" — Wikinews, August 16, 2006
- "Police in Britain uncover suspected terrorist plot" — Wikinews, August 11, 2006
- "Transatlantic flight diverted in security alert" — , August 25, 2006
- "UPDATE 2-American Airlines jet diverted in U.S." — , August 25, 2006
- "American Airlines jet diverted" — , August 25, 2006
- "Chicago-bound US jet diverted" — , August 25, 2006
- "UK-US plane diverted over 'scare'" — , August 25, 2006
- "Chicago-Bound Flight From England Diverted to Maine Airport" — , August 25, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|