Senate panel votes 12-9 against troop increase in Iraq
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
The main statement in their resolution says, "[I]t is not in the national interest of the United States to deepen its military involvement in Iraq, particularly by increasing the United States military force presence in Iraq."
Senator R) said, "We better be damn sure we know what we're doing, all of us, before we put 22,000 more Americans into that grinder."(
Senator D) said, "not an attempt to embarrass the president. ... It's an attempt to save the president from making a significant mistake with regard to our policy in Iraq."(
Senator R) said, "I am not confident that President Bush's plan will succeed."(
The full Senate debate on the Iraq troop increase will begin next week.
- Anne Flaherty. "Senate panel votes against Bush on Iraq" — , January 24, 2007
- "Senate panel rejects Bush’s Iraq strategy" — , January 24, 2007
- John Holusha. "Senate Panel Opposes Troop Increase in Iraq, 12-9" — , January 24, 2007
- "Senate Panel Passes Resolution Opposing Troop Escalation in Iraq" — , January 24, 2007
- Nicholas Johnston. "U.S. Senate Panel Votes Against Bush Iraq Strategy (Update2)" — , January 24, 2007