South African cricketer AB de Villiers announces international retirement
Saturday, May 26, 2018
On Wednesday, South African cricketer announced his retirement from international cricket. The 34-year-old batsman uploaded a video message on Twitter saying it was a "tough decision" and he was "tired".
De Villiers joined the national team, the Proteas, in 2004, featuring in a England. Since then, the South African has featured in 114 test matches for the Proteas, scoring 8765 runs. He has 22 to his name, the most recent one coming against Australia in March. South Africa went on to win the test series 3–0.against
De Villiers'is above 50 in both test matches and (ODI) matches. De Villiers has featured in 228 ODI and 78 (T20) matches as well scoring 9577 and 1672 runs in ODIs and T20s respectively.
In a match against the West Indies at the Johannesburg on January 18, 2015, De Villiers scored 149 runs from 44 . In that match, De Villiers scored the fastest half-century in ODIs, reaching 50 runs from seventeen balls, as well as the fastest century in ODIs, with 100 runs from 31 balls.in
Chris Nenzani, the President of, said, "AB is one of the all-time greats of South African cricket who has thrilled spectators around the world".
De Villiers announced his retirement four days after he finished hisseason with . In the video statement, De Villiers said, "I have no plans to play overseas, in fact, I hope I can continue to be available for the in domestic cricket."
- "AB de Villiers | South Africa" — , May 25, 2018 (date of access)
- "Records | One-Day Internationals | Batting Records | Fastest Fifties" — , May 25, 2018 (date of access)
- "Records | One-Day Internationals | Batting Records | Fastest Hundreds" — , May 25, 2018 (date of access)
- "AB de Villiers: South Africa batsman retires from international cricket" — , May 23, 2018
- Firdose Moonda. "'Tired' AB de Villiers retires from international cricket" — , May 23, 2018
- Firdose Moonda. "De Villiers sets breathtaking new century record" — , January 18, 2015
- AB de Villiers. "I’ve made a big decision today" — , May 23, 2018