South London police officer Matt Ratana shot in custody centre
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
54-year-old Metropolitan Police sergeant Matiu "Matt" Ratana was shot at the Croydon, South London custody centre, at roughly 2am local time (0100 ) on Friday by a prisoner, suspected to be 23-year-old Louis De Zoysa. As of Monday, De Zoysa was reportedly still in critical condition, after a bullet hit him in the neck.
A man suspected to have supplied the gun to De Zoysa was arrested in Norfolk at 2am local time (0100 UTC) on Sunday.
Sergeant Ratana underwent open heart surgery at the centre and was then airlifted to hospital, but he was later pronounced dead.
Sergeant Ratana, from New Zealand, served in the , New Zealand police force for five years. Reportedly the sergeant was due to retire in two months, and an acquaintance said he moved to the custody centre for its greater safety.,
The alleged shooter was at the centre after being detained earlier Friday in an area near, , for possession of ammunition and .
- "Matt Ratana shooting: Man suspected of killing police officer in custody suite is named" — , September 28, 2020
- Samantha Lock. "Who is Croydon police shooting suspect Louis De Zoysa?" — , September 28, 2020
- "Revealed: Suspect in killing of Kiwi Sergeant Matiu Ratana named as Louis De Zoysa" — , September 28, 2020
- Ellie Cambridge, Mike Sullivan, Nick Parker. "‘Gun seller’ arrested for supplying firearm that killed Sgt Matt Ratana as cops use explosives in raids" — , September 27, 2020
- Mike Sullivan, Nick Parker. "Croydon police shooting: Sgt Matt Ratana’s ‘killer’ revived by medics after he ‘dies’ in hospital as cops search home" — , September 27, 2020