Spanish football captain dies at 26
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Jarque was sharing a room with another player, Ferran Corominas who says Jarque was talking to his girlfriend when he went to dinner on Saturday night. When Jarque fell silent over the phone, his girlfriend called the hotel who alerted Corminas. He then went back to the hotel room and found Jarque unconscious. Although he was taken to a local hospital, all efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.
"The doctor carried out CPR on the player and used a defibrillator, which showed that the arrest was non responsive. RCD Espanyol, broken with pain, wish to put themselves at the absolute disposition of the family of our captain Dani Jarque, to whom go our warmest thoughts," said the team in a statement to the press. The team has canceled their planned practices in Italy and will return to Spain.
Jarque had been named captain of the side last July, replacing Raúl Tamudo. He joined team Espanyol at the young age of 12 and played his first match in 2002.
- This story is based on one by "Typically Spanish," which releases its content under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
- Howard Brereton. "Spanish football captain dies at 26" — , August 8, 2009
- Reuters. "Espanyol Captain Jarque Dies on Pre-Season Tour" — , August 8, 2009
- Associated Press. "Player dies of apparent heart attack at age 26" — , August 8, 2009
- "Espanyol stunned by Jarque death" — , August 8, 2009