StarOffice 8 launched
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
According to Sun, StarOffice 8 “provides excellent compatibility with Microsoft Office”. This new version improves Word, Excel and PowerPoint import and export filters, improving support for password-protected Word and Excel files and presentations with complex animations, autoshapes and slide transitions. StarOffice 8 also includes a Microsoft Office macro converter allowing many Microsoft Office macros to work in StarOffice.
StarOffice 8 is also the first commercial office suite to support the OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument). OpenDocument is an XML based file format created by the Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards. Massachusetts has recently announced the plan to switch to OpenDocument format. Microsoft has said it will not support the OpenDocument format.
StarOffice 8 is based on the open source OpenOffice.org project. OpenOffice.org was founded July 2000, by Sun with the release of StarOffice code under two open source licenses.
StarOffice 8 is available as a download from Sun’s Web site for $69.95, or packaged product can be ordered for $99.95. Enterprise customers can purchase StarOffice 8 for $35 (£20) per user. OpenOffice.org is available for free from openoffice.org.
- Sun Microsystems. "OpenOffice.org 1.1 Features" — , 2005
- Ingrid Marson. "Sun launches StarOffice 8" — , September 27, 2005
- Laurie Flynn. "New Sun software to work with Microsoft" — , September 25, 2005
- Elizabeth Montalbano (IDG). "StarOffice 8 to support Microsoft macros" — , September 27, 2005
- "Sun Readies New StarOffice" — , September 26, 2005
- "Sun Introduces New Version of StarOffice Software" — , September 27, 2005 (Press Release)