Supreme Court of Sweden agrees to try Bildkonst Upphovsrätt i Sverige versus Wikimedia Sverige
|This article mentions the Wikimedia Foundation, one of its projects, or people related to it. Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
Friday, March 20, 2015
The highest court in Sweden, the , agreed on Monday to try the case "Ö 849-15" between (BUS, Visual Arts Copyright Society in Sweden) and Wikimedia Sverige (Wikimedia Sweden). The jurisprudence could result in being effectively overturned in Sweden, requiring websites such as , which is maintained by the Wikimedia Foundation, to delete thousands of images.
Not long after Wikimedia Sverige created the website offentligkonst.se to publish images and metadata about artworks placed in public spaces in Sweden, BUS, a pro-copyright lobby, advocated that it constituted infringement on the artists' copyright. The current lawsuit opposes the interpretation of Wikimedia — that artwork permanently installed in public space should be subject to the Freedom of Panorama exception that is in effect in Sweden — to that of BUS — that is creation () of images and videos of an artwork in a public space is allowed, their distribution ( ) remains prohibited.
((sv))Swedish language: I en tid när alla har en schyst kamera i mobilen, så är man mer än lovligt naiv om man tror att man kan placera sina verk i det offentliga rummet utan att riskera att de avbildas och läggs ut på nätet., an author and former leader of the which advocates , commented on her , "In a time when everyone has a high-grade camera in their phone, it is more than a little naive to think one can place one's work in public space without it being photographed and posted online."
- Images over which BUS are suing Wikimedia Sverige
Thomas Qvarsebo bronze statue Duo, in Stockholm, donated by Eva Bonniers Grants Committee. Image: LittleGun.
Thomas Qvarsebo bronze statue Duo, in Stockholm, donated by Eva Bonniers Grants Committee.
Johan Paalzow sculpture Moby Dick, in Stockholm.
Eva Hild sculpture Binär, in Stockholm.
- Emil Wesolowski. "Bilder på offentliga konstverk prövas i HD" — , March 19, 2015 ()
- Ulrika Stahre. "BUS vill smygprivatisera den offentliga konsten" — , March 18, 2015 ()
- "HD prövar foton på offentlig konst" — , March 18, 2015 ()
- Christoffer Malm. "HD prövar om Wikimedias foton på offentlig konst är upphovsrättsbrott" — , March 17, 2015 ()
- "Förhandlingar" — , January 16, 2015 ()
- "Meddelade prövningstillstånd" — , March 16, 2015 ()
- BUS eller godis?" — , June 13, 2014 (). "
|More links to newspapers relating to this topic can be found on Wikimedia Sverige's wiki. ()|
- "Concerning lawsuit from BUS against offentligkonst.se" — , June 13, 2014 () (Press release)
- "BUS stämmer Wikimedia för upphovsrättsintrång" — , June 13, 2014 () (Press release)