Talk:Powerful earthquake rocks southern Japan, tsunami warnings issued
This kind of breaking news should be put on the RSS feed edw 04:37, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- How exactly does one help to update the RSS feed?
- Eloquence has listed a working RSS feed as one of the requirements of moving Wikinews out of Beta, so I would like to help out with keeping it updated if at all possible. — DV 05:53, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Oarih- Is the new information that you're adding original reporting? VF 09:20, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- It's a combination, I guess. The bit about queues downtown and the festive atmosphere were mine, along with the photos, but other facts (such as the warning about magnitude 6 aftershocks) I heard on the news. -- Oarih 09:26, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Would you mind prefacing your original reporting with the phrase "Wikinews contributor Oarih reports that" so we know which part of the story is eyewitness?
- We can then add the "Original reporting" tag to the article. — DV 09:31, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- The RSS feed is run by me. However I was asleep at 4am this morning (British time)! In reality at the moment I only have time to check the site and update the RSS feed once a day. Of course that's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. Dan100 (Talk) 22:07, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Your work on the RSS feed is greatly appreciated. I put the feed on my home page and notice the content is updated about every 10 hours. I realize of course there are more than enough things on your to do list, but ultimately WikiNews needs to do better than this. Perhaps you can automate it at some point in time. edw 23:14, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Short of scraping the front page and the linked article pages (which is prone to breakage), wouldn't automated RSS feeds require changing the MediaWiki software? I don't think we'll have much luck convincing the MediaWiki developers to help us out, because the same software is used to run Wikipedia, which has different requirements for performance and scalability.
- We may need to start developing our own "NewsWiki" software if continuously updated RSS feeds are a requirement for Wikinews to move out of Beta. — DV 23:36, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)