Thirteen Israeli soldiers, scores of Palestinians killed in deadly day of fighting in Gaza Strip
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
On Sunday, in the deadliest day of fighting for the Israeli military in several years, thirteensoldiers were reported killed in the . Over 500 deaths of have been reported in the Gaza Strip in the now-fourteen days of Israel's offensive against .
Over 67 deaths of Palestinians on Sunday, by one report well over 100 — both civilians and fighters combined — occurred in one area, thesuburb of , following heavy fighting and shelling by Israeli forces.
Meanwhile, thirteen Israeli soldiers were killed Sunday, including two soldiers who werecitizens. Furthermore, the armed wing of Hamas claimed in a statement, "We have captured a Zionist soldier and the occupation has not admitted that", and displaying a identification card and a serial number. The IDF is investigating the claim. A anonymous senior Israeli military source told in regards to Hamas fighters, "We have to admit we were facing good fighters, very well equipped with sophisticated weapons systems, accurate weapons, heavy weapons including mortars, booby traps."
All this occurred while ameeting was held in at the request of . Speaking to reporters after the meeting, 's UN ambassador said, "The members of the Security Council expressed serious concern about the growing number of casualties. The members of the Security Council called for an immediate cessation of hostilities". Gasana continued saying, "The members of the Security Council called for respect of international humanitarian law including protection of civilians[...] The members of the Security Council emphasized the need to improve the humanitarian situation, including through humanitarian pauses."
United Nations Secretary-General, who is in , meeting with Qatar's Emir Sheikh and Palestinian President , said in a statement, "As I travel the region, I will continue to press for an [immediate] ceasefire — an immediate end to the Israeli military operation in Gaza and the rocket fire by Hamas and ". Ban criticized Israel for the civilian death toll saying, “While I was en route to Doha, dozens more civilians, including children, have been killed in Israeli military strikes in the Shejaiyah neighborhood in Gaza[...] I condemn this atrocious action. Israel must exercise maximum restraint and do far more to protect civilians.”
In response, Israeli Prime Ministersaid in press conference, "We will continue this operation for as long as it takes." Netanyahu also appeared on saying Hamas uses civilians as human shields; "They use telegenically dead Palestinians for their cause. They want the more dead, the better". He further added, "We try to target military targets and unfortunately there are civilian casualties which we regret and we don't seek".
- Peter Beaumont, Harriet Sherwood, Matthew Weaver. "Gaza crisis: Palestinian death toll climbs past 500 as hospital is hit" — , July 21, 2014
- Michelle Nichols, Lisa Shumaker and Alan Raybould. "UN Security Council concerned by growing Gaza conflict casualties" — , July 21, 2014
- Nidal Al-Mughrabi and Crispian Balmer. "Gaza death toll tops 500 as U.S. steps up ceasefire efforts" — , July 21, 2014
- Peter Beaumont, Harriet Sherwood and Ian Black. "Gaza's bloodiest day as at least 100 Palestinians are killed" — , July 20, 2014
- Peter Beaumont. "Israel kills scores in Gaza City suburb in deadliest assault of offensive so far" — , July 20, 2014
- Harriet Sherwood. "Israeli soldiers killed after battle in Gaza City suburb" — , July 20, 2014
- "Security Council holds emergency meeting on Gaza; Ban meets with Abbas in Qatar" — , July 20, 2014