Top Zarqawi ally captured
Monday, January 24, 2005
Iraq — Sami Mohammad Ali Said al-Jaaf, also known as Abu Omar al-Kurdi, accused of many bombings, has said to have been captured by US and Iraqi security forces. He was arrested on the 15th of January, but his arrest has not been revealed until now.
Al-Jaaf was said to have been a threat to security because of his ties to the militant group Zarqawi and his previous criminal record. Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's party offices were close to the site of the recent bombing in Baghdad, these bombings were claimed by Zarqawi supporters on their website, but, luckily, Mr Allawi was not in the area at the time of the blast, which happened on Monday.
- "Iraq captures 'top Zarqawi ally'" — , January 24, 2005
- Luke Baker. "Senior Zarqawi aide captured" — , January 24, 2005
- "Will Iraq elections be a success?" — , January 24, 2005
- "Zarqawi Group Takes Responsibility for Iraq Blast; Aides Seized" — , January 24, 2005
- "Tape recording for Zarqawi announces war on the elections" — , January 24, 2005
- AP. "Bomber Strikes Near Iraqi Leader's HQ" — , January 24, 2005