Tsunami fears rise after latest Indonesian temblor
Monday, March 28, 2005
After a magnitude 8.7 earthquake rocked late Monday, local populations were reminded of the devastating , that killed 273,000 people as they scoured the shores and seaside areas of countries exposed to the , although three hours later with only one small tsunami observed the threat had passed.
Still, according to reports, thousands of coastal residents near the Indian Ocean were evacuating to higher ground for the night in case the experts were wrong. Reports also sayauthorities urged islanders near the coast to move at least two kilometres inland.
"It looks like many people have left the coasts. I don’t know exactly how many people but they are moving away from the sea shores to the interior areas," Dr. Unni Krishnan, coordinator for relief agency Action Aid said in an interview with a reporter from The Scotsman.
Minutes after data from the earthquake started coming in, half-way around the world from Sumatra, an emergency response center kicked into action. The(PTWC) in issued a tsunami alert - advising "immediate action" and evacuation procedures were advised for some coastal areas.
"Authorities in those regions should be aware of this possibility and take immediate action. This action should include evacuation of coasts within 1,000 kilometers of the epicenter and close monitoring to determine the need for evacuation further away," the PTWC alert said.
The PTWC said they did detect a small tsunami that stuck thesouth of the quake's epicenter. However the PTWC went on to say that if no tsunami activity was observed within three hours of the 4.10pm UTC quake, there was no further danger. That time has passed.
A spokesman for thein an interview with the AFP said when such a large quake strikes, the sends out e-mails, faxes and telephone messages to nearby agencies warning them of possible aftershocks, or likely tsunami activity.
- "Aussie rescue chopper down: 9 dead" — Wikinews, April 3, 2005
- "Irish scientists had predicted further Sumatran earthquake" — Wikinews, March 29, 2005
- "Monday night's Indonesian quake toll appears less than first feared" — Wikinews, March 29, 2005
- "Foreign governments move to aid earthquake region" — Wikinews, March 28, 2005
- "Magnitude 8.7 earthquake hits Northern Sumatra, Indonesia" — Wikinews, March 28, 2005
- "2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami" — Wikinews, December 26, 2004 - January 6, 2005
- "Asian earthquake toll nears 60,000" — Wikinews, December 27, 2004
- Louise Barnett. "Sri Lankans Urged to Flee Coast" — , March 28, 2005
- Michael Casey. "Strong Indonesia quake forces evacuations" — , March 28, 2005
- "TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 002" — , March 28, 2005
- Staff reports. "Quake hits; tsunami feared" — , March 29, 2005
- Tsunami warning: Evacuate" — , March 28, 2005