Turkey secures Kurdish zone border with Iraq
Thursday, June 7, 2007
Turkey has tightened access to its cities bordering Iraq, and regions between Turkey and have been closed after a series of attacks by the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK); these border cities have been declared as forbidden zones, a press release published on the website of the says. The Chief of Staff, General , said that the situation was extraordinary.
It has also been reported that trespassing across the borders and entering the forbidden zones will not be tolerated, and anyone found doing so will be shot.
The Turkish Military has also stopped all flights between Turkey and Northern Iraq.
- "Reports say Turkish troops enter northern Iraq" — Wikinews, June 6, 2007
- "US Airspace violation raises Turkey regional tensions" — Wikinews, May 28, 2007
- "Turkey tightens control near Iraq" — , June 7, 2007
- "Tüm Uçuşlar Durduruldu" — , June 7, 2007 ()
- "Kuzey Irak sınırında yasak bölge ilanı" — , June 6, 2007 ()
- Release from the Turkish Armed Forces