Two shot on nuclear submarine in Southampton, England
Friday, April 8, 2011
Reports indicate two people have been shot at England.,
According to initial reports, a firearms incident has occurred on or close to, a submarine which was berthed in the docks. The incident is thought to have occurred a short time before 1212 BST when police were called to the docks.
"Hampshire police were called by their Ministry of Defense colleagues at 12.12 pm (1112 GMT) today... and are currently liaising with them to establish the exact circumstances of the incident," said aspokesperson in a statement to the news agency, "[i]t is believed two people have sustained injuries as a result of gun shots being discharged on the vessel."
An eyewitness at the scene told: "I saw at least six people carry a stretcher off the gangway into a waiting ambulance." An area around the docks has been sealed off.
Although serious, Hampshire Constabulary and thehave stated that the incident is not terrorist related and that there is no public safety risk. Both organisations are continuing to investigate the incident.
Hampshire Constabulary later confirmed that one of the injured has died, and that one arrest has been made. It is believed that the arrested man is service personnel, and is currently being held in custody by the police.
- "Two injured in HMS Astute nuclear submarine shooting" — , April 8, 2011
- "Fatal shooting on nuclear submarine at Southampton Docks" — , April 8, 2011
- "One Killed In Shooting On Nuclear Submarine" — , April 8, 2010
- "Man held after shooting onboard UK submarine" — , April 8, 2010
- "Nuclear submarine HMS Astute runs aground off Skye" — , October 22, 2010