Two unconscious drug-overdosed men discovered outside University of Canberra residence hall

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Friday, April 12, 2013

ACT Policing and AFP Forensics on site at the University of Canberra New Ressies investigating the incident
Image: Laura Hale.

Yesterday morning in the Australian Capital Territory, two unconscious men were discovered outside the University of Canberra's New Ressies.

Police said both men were in critical condition after being transported to nearby Calvary Hospital. According to the University of Canberra and Campus Living Services, who operate the university's residence halls, neither man attended the university. Detective Sergeant John Giles from ACT Policing's Criminal Investigations said the police believe both men overdosed on a synthetic ketamine product, which they likely consumed believing it was ecstasy. According to Giles, ecstasy is commonly used at nightclubs in Canberra.

Emergency services were first called to the scene at 11:00am Canberra time; officials were on site for at least another hour and a half. ACT Policing secured the area while AFP Forensics investigated. At this stage, the Australian Federal Police do not believe there were any suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.

The incident follows a fire alarm going off at 3:20am Canberra time, and going off again around 7:20am. Fire alarm testing has been scheduled for today.


Sources

Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.
Wikinews
This article features first-hand journalism by Wikinews members. See the collaboration page for more details.


Bookmark-new.svg