UEFA Champions League 2016-2017: Draw for Last 16 held at Nyon
Thursday, December 15, 2016
On Monday, the draw for the Last 16 for the 2016–17 UEFA Champions League took place in , Switzerland at 12:00 local time. The draw took place in two pots, one consisting of the respective group winners, and the second of the runners-up. Winners of the Last 16 play in the quarter-finals.
UEFA Champions League is the competitive league of Europe in which football clubs topping their respective leagues play for the trophy. 32 clubs across the continent played in eight groups, and the winner and runner-up of each group qualified for the Last 16 knockout round.
|Group runners-up||Group winners|
|Manchester City (ENG)||FRA)(|
|Real Madrid (ESP)||ITA)(|
|POR)(||Borussia Dortmund (GER)|
|Bayern Munich (GER)||Arsenal (ENG)|
|GER)(||Atlético Madrid (ESP)|
|FRA)(||FC Barcelona (ESP)|
English capital club Arsenal drew the defending German winners Bayern Munich. The Gunners have faced the German giants ten times, winning only thrice. Bayern has defeated Arsenal five times in the Champions league matches — eliminating Arsenal thrice in the Last 16.
Defending champions Real Madrid drew . Before the draw, Napoli captain said, "I don't fear anybody, honestly. We won't be scared even if we get Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid. If we play with the determination we had at the weekend against Cagliari, we can beat any team."
Respective group winners are to play the first game away from home. First leg is scheduled to be played in February.
Spanish clubs have won the last three editions of the UEFA Champions League, Real Madrid defeating Atletico Madrid twice, and Barcelona defeating Juventus in 2015 and winning their second treble. has won last three consecutive .
- "Claudio Bravo signs Manchester City" — Wikinews, August 28, 2016
- "Manchester United signs Pogba, now costliest player in history" — Wikinews, August 10, 2016
- "Footballers Neymar, Zlatan, Nolito sign contracts" — Wikinews, July 4, 2016
- "¡La Undécima!: Real Madrid wins 2015-16 UEFA Champions League 5-3 on penalties" — Wikinews, May 30, 2016
- "DFB-Pokal Final: Bayern wins 4-3 in Der Klassiker final" — Wikinews, May 23, 2016
- "Sevilla wins third consecutive Europa League title, beating Liverpool 3-1" — Wikinews, May 19, 2016
- "Leicester City wins first Premier League as Spurs and Chelsea held for 2-2 draw" — Wikinews, May 4, 2016
- "UEFA Champions League 2015-2016: Draw for Last 16 held at Nyon" — Wikinews, December 16, 2015
- "F.C. Barcelona wins UEFA Champions League 2014/15" — Wikinews, June 8, 2015
- "UEFA Champions League - Draws" — , December 12, 2016
- "Champions League last 16: Arsenal v Bayern Munich; Man City v Monaco; Leicester v Sevilla" — , December 12, 2016