UEFA Euro 2016, Last 16: Italy-Spain and England-Iceland
Thursday, June 30, 2016
In the Last 16 knockout phase of UEFA Euro 2016, Italy defeated the defending champions Spain 2–0, and Iceland eliminated England winning 2–1, on Monday. Italy is to face the World Champions Germany in the quarter-finals.
Italy 2–0 Spain
Italian defender David de Gea saved many shots, her was not able to stop 's shot shortly before the referee brought the match to an end.scored in the 33rd minute as the two-time defending champions trailed 0–1 before half time. Though Spanish goalkeeper
Italy is to play Germany in the quarter-finals. After the match, Italian coachsaid, "We showed that an idea can beat talent."
England 1–2 Iceland
Winning an early penalty kick, England were 1–0 up in the 4th minute as Wayne Rooney scored from a spot kick. equalised for Iceland just a couple of minutes later. scored the second goal for the Icelanders in the 18th minute as they won the fixture and advanced to the next knockout phase.
England managerresigned from his post promptly after the match ended. In remarks the next day he promised to support . He said, "we are still recovering and I am very fragile today. It wasn't a good night for everybody." "Anybody who is out there who has played football will have some idea of how I feel today", said the ex-manager.
Iceland is to face hosts France in the quarter-finals.
- "UEFA Euro 2016, Last 16: France-Republic of Ireland, Germany-Slovakia, Hungary-Belgium" — Wikinews, June 2016
- "Roy Hodgson: England's exit came as a shock to ask of us" — , June 28, 2016
- Benjamin Gladwell and Graham Hunter. "UEFA EURO 2016 - Italy-Spain" — , June 27, 2016
- "Live Scores - UEFA EURO 2016: Italy - Spain" — , June 27, 2016
- Simon Hart and Johann Olafur Sigurdsson. "UEFA EURO 2016 - England-Iceland" — , June 27, 2016
- "Live Scores - UEFA EURO 2016: England - Iceland" — , June 27, 2016