UK's 'ban Trump' petition passes half-million mark
Saturday, December 12, 2015
A petition on thegovernment's website, calling for Presidential hopeful to be barred from entering the country, has now passed a half-million signatories becoming the most-popular petition ever posted on the site. The signatories include a majority of UK .
The petition was originally submitted late November by campaigner Suzanne Kelly from, preceding Trump's remarks which prompted the overwhelming response. Kelly, saying her attention was drawn due to concerns over Trump's golfing developments in the area, noted, "I never in my wildest dreams imagined it would get so many signatures". Locally, have stripped an honorary degree from Trump, and First Minister removed him from the GlobalScot network of business ambassadors.
Following the tycoon's call for a "complete shutdown ofentering the United States", an / survey found the majority of adults in the United States disagree with him. The remarks also prompted global criticism of Trump.
mayor said the demand made him "unfit to hold the office of the president of the United States". Prime minister stated on , "Mr. Trump, like others, fuels hatred [...] our only enemy is radical ." The director of the American university in 's , , said: "What we are getting now is really terrible [...] Stuff that only the and others would say." Kassem Allie, from the , accused Trump of evoking fear "reminiscent of ".
In contrast, a humorous petition calling onto "send Donald Trump into Space and Leave Him There" on the change.org site has exceeded 30,000 signatures. Autumn Boehle from , who started the petition last Wednesday, says, if the petition garners sufficient signatures, she will provide a link where people can: "donate to make this happen. It wont be cheap, but it will be worth while."
The petition to ban Donald Trump from the UK, having passed 100,000 signatures, is now eligible for debate in the.
- Dean Gray. "Half a million sign online petition to ban mogul entering UK" — , December 12, 2015
- "Activists petition NASA: Dump Trump into outer space" — , December 12, 2015
- Phil Helsel. "Petition to Ban Trump From U.K. Is Most Popular Ever on Government Site" — , December 11, 2015
- "Woman behind petition to ban Donald Trump from UK ‘shocked’ by support" — , December 9, 2015
- Dan Bilefsky. "Trump’s Plan to Bar Muslims Is Widely Condemned Abroad" — , December 8, 2015
- Block Donald J Trump from UK entry — UK Government Petition site
- Petition to send Donald Trump into Space and Leave Him There. — Change.org
- House of Commons recess dates — UK Parliament website